Sunday 24 April 2011

My Magazine Brief

Magazine brief
I have decided to create a magazine for the rock genre which will appeal to young audiences such as teenagers to young adults. In order to achieve this, I will follow certain conventions of the rock genre and focus the design at people that are adverse to the mainstream and enjoy rock music. This magazine would have quite a lot of competition with other magazines of the same genre such as Kerrang! or NME since this is a very popular genre. However, to make my magazine successful, I will aim it more at the female audience, using a more feminine colour scheme to attract them.
Although the main genre of my magazine will be rock, I will also branch out to indie and metal music so as to attract the widest audience possible. I will ensure that my magazine is eye catching and colourful as well as full and explosive. This will attract the audience of rock music as it will reflect the rock music; loud and aggressive. I will make sure that my colour scheme, although more feminine, will reflect this.
I feel that there is a gap in the market for female magazines, more specifically rock music magazines. However, I will not alienate males from the magazine, making it still appealing to them, just more so to females than typical rock magazines. This would provide my magazine with a unique selling point and in doing this I will double my audience.
My magazine will provide the audience with many guides and reviews of gigs, as well as album reviews and a list of what is popular now. Although this is not a common convention of a rock magazine, I think it will create a bond for the reader with the magazine and therefore allow the reader to identify with it. Also my target audience would be very passionate about music and want to know what music is right for them.  I plan to run features and interviews with artists so that my target audience can feel close to the artists, a common convention of music magazines.
The target audience of this magazine are teenagers and my magazine will reflect this. I hope to appeal to both genders and in turn double my target audience which will also double my profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment